Saturday, August 18, 2007

Sweet Crib, Boyeeee

Okay, I stink at updating this blog. I accept and admit it. If you people only knew how many blogs I've written in my head but just never got around to posting!! But enough guilt-trippin', I got news and photos to share!

First things first, here is Baby Rut's crib, all decked out with his groovy bedding. You may notice that I have eschewed the whole "blue is for boy" idea-- not a bit o' blue in the batch-- in favor of a bolder, more gender-neutral concept. Notice the lovely "Central Park" green toile fabric on the outside of the bumper? That's pretty much my only true "baby" fabric. Quick shout out to Angela B for all of her help in fabric and furniture selection. The nursery is still a little way from total completion because we still have pictures to hang and a bookcase to place and fill, but we feel pretty certain that Baby Rut is not going to mind if everything isn't "just so" when he spends his first night at home. Here's a close-up, in case you can't see the fabrics:
I must admit that I am so glad I am on the tail-end of my friend and family "baby boom" because this new mom has reaped the benefit of many trials-and-errors of those who have given birth before me! For example, I have learned about this awesome thing called The Ultimate Crib Sheet that should make for faster "quick changes" in the middle of the night and to start with the crib mattress in the middle position (as opposed to the top) so I'll have room for my bumpers as well as the mobile & nightlight soother. Another good idea is to put a dimmer switch on the overhead light. We have yet to do that, but it's definitely on our list! We have also gotten tons of great hand-me-downs from my cousin Jen and her sweet girls, Catherine and Elizabeth. Their MOM connection even helped us find a great deal on a crib and bedding for the Grandpa and Grandma Rut household. I got to spend some QT with C & E a few weeks ago on a short-term visit to Lake Livingston, which really got my "mom" vibes charged because they were so stinking cute! I was lucky enough to have been honored with four beautiful and very fun baby showers that supplied us with all the "big ticket items" except for our everyday stroller, which we were able to purchase at a nice discount via Amazon.com using saved up points. We've figured out many of the nifty aspects of said stroller and installed the car seat base. Haven't packed my hospital bag just yet, but I have a list of everything I'm going to take! I've also washed a whole buncha laundry, including all the baby clothes I'll need for the first couple of months.

Healthwise, everything is still good as I begin my 37th week. Not having any trouble sleeping whatsoever. I sleep late during the week but weekends I'm up and at 'em by 7 or earlier. This morning I washed a bunch of dishes, did two loads of laundry, and made a yummy breakfast before Sweet D even rolled himself out of the bed. Then we spent the rest of the morning running our Saturday errands, which almost always includes a trip to the recycling center. I didn't even take a nap today! I've been fooling around on ebay (Just looking!) and finishing thank-you notes all day, so my ankles are now look more like "cankles" for the first time during my entire pregnancy. All in all, though I'm sure there have been several mothers-to-be who are/were much more ready than I am, I feel pretty confident and prepared to start on this new adventure!

All my teacher friends are starting to gear up for the new school year. Jeny B asked me the other day if I've been feeling any "pangs". I answered honestly that I haven't and I can't even imagine having to go to trainings and put up bulletin boards right now, being as bulky and clumsy as I am! The past few months have been a great time to 'wrap my head around' the responsibilities that come with the new title I'll be brandishing for the rest of my life!

In other news, there's a Hurricane supposedly headed this way, so naturally everyone is completely panicked and buying way too much food. We, of course, already have a pantry full enough to feed a third world country (See Exhibit P, left) and thus ain't even a little bit skeered. Still, it's probably not the best time to be out-to-there pregnant, so I'm packing up my things and heading to the Land of Sucrose for the week to hang out with Momma and Papa G. Right now I need to go pack that aforementioned "hospital bag", so I must bring this post to an end. Who knows? Next time I post there might be someone new in the House of Rut. Stay tuned...

No comments: