Saturday, August 25, 2007

Birthday Blog

Happy Birthday to two of my favorite cooks, Rachael Ray and Dora "Rut," my very sweet mother-in-law!

In honor of the birthday girls, I decided to get off my keister and do a little cooking, myself. Saturday mornings are tailor-made for indulgent, carb-laden breakfast yummies, after all! Thanks to Dora and her delicious dinners, we had a lovely loaf of French Bread that was simply begging to be more than just a bunch of boring "cheesy toast". So yesterday I asked myself, "Self, who are you to deny this loaf of its dream?"

The answer? Behold, today's breakfast (I scammed the pic from the Williams-Sonoma website, but I see no harm in that because that's exactly the catalog from whence this recipe originated, albeit several years ago. And I am not too proud to admit that mine did actually look just as delicious, if not more so.)

Here's the recipe:
"I Have a Dream" French Toast
Ingredients:
1 day-old baguette, cut diagonally into slices 3/4 inch thick
6 eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups half-and-half (I used Land O' Lakes Fat Free)
1 Tbs. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
2 Tbs. firmly packed light brown sugar
Unsalted butter for cooking
Confectioners’ sugar for dusting
Fruit for garnishing (optional)
Maple syrup (We like Aunt Jemima Butter Lite)

Directions:
Pour half-and-half into a shallow baking dish. Combine the eggs, half-and-half, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and brown sugar in a bowl or measuring cup. Stir to combine, then add to baking dish with half-and-half. Whisk until mixture is well blended. Add as many bread slices to mixture as can fit without crowding, allowing at least 1-2 minutes of soak time for each side. Preheat a griddle according to the manufacturer’s instructions and coat generously with butter. When the griddle is hot, cook them in batches (do not overcrowd) at medium high heat until golden and crisp, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer the French toast to a warmed platter, dust with confectioners’ sugar and garnish with fruit. Serve immediately with maple syrup alongside. Serves 4.

Sweet D has a full belly and I have a clear conscience for helping a loaf of french bread to achieve its life goal. Not a bad way to start the day!

1 comment:

JenyB said...

Look @ you go--blogging AND cooking. I'm impressed. And Sweet D better learn the recipe to make it for YOU when Bo (Beau) shows up!